When extreme weather conditions hit it’s usually easy to see why the power is out – get prepared this wet season!
Be Prepared for a Power Outage:
- Get connected – follow Energex on Facebook and Twitter and bookmark their website on your mobile.
- Keep important numbers and checklists in a familiar place for everyone to see.
- Put together an emergency kit.
- Keep instructions handy on how to manually override electronic access to your home or garage.
- Tidy up any loose items around the house that could become airborne during severe weather.
- Stock up on batteries for portable radios, torches or other equipment.
- Report tree branches in or around power lines to Energex on 13 12 53.
- Leave one light turned on so you’ll know when the power comes back on.
- Tune into the local radio station on a battery operated radio or the car radio for power restoration updates.
- Use torches and LED lanterns. Do not use candles as this increases the risk of fire.
- Avoid opening the fridge or freezer. Food will last longer if you keep doors closed.
- Use a portable generator with extreme caution. Always use it in a well-ventilated area and connect appliances directly to the generator.
Keep Safe If The Power Does Go Out
- If you go outside to inspect for damage, never attempt to touch or move power lines.
- Keep children and pets well away.
- Do not touch anything that power lines are touching, like tree branches or fences.
- Always assume the power line is live.
- Check refrigerated food for any unusual odours, colours or textures. When in doubt, throw it out.
Content courtesy of Energex
IMPORTANT: If power lines are brought down, keep well away, alert others to the danger and call Energex on 13 19 62