During the hot Brisbane summers, the last thing you want to do is come home and have to sit in front of a wall air conditioning unit and wait for your room to cool. Wouldn’t it be nice to come home from work to be greeted with a comfortable and fully cooled house? A ducted air conditioner equips your home with modern technology that provides the ultimate cooling solution. Ducted air conditioning is energy efficient, quiet and a luxury that is now more affordable than ever.
How Does A Ducted Air Conditioner Work?
6 Benefits Of A Ducted Air Conditioner
How Much Does Ducted Air Conditioning Cost To Run?
Differences Between Ducted And Split Systems
How Much Does It Cost To Install A Ducted Air Conditioner?
HOW DOES A DUCTED AIR CONDITIONER WORK?
Ducted air conditioners generate cool air from a compressor/ condensing unit that sits outside of your home, this is connected to an indoor fan coil unit that is discreetly located within the roof cavity of the house. Ductwork runs throughout the roof of the house and outputs the cool air via a series of vents (diffuser outlets) in each room. Nowadays, most ducted air conditioners, called reverse-cycle ducted units, can also heat your home during the winter months.
Ducted air conditioning provides a whole house cooling solution that is perfect for the Brisbane climate and can even be zone controlled. A zoned ducted air conditioning system can allow you to control the amount of cooling in each zone of the house. This means you can keep the areas you’re using cool, while keeping the cooling system off in other areas of the home.
Not many houses in Brisbane have pre-installed ductwork necessary to connect into the ducted system, so a ducted air conditioner does require professional installation. The professional ducted air conditioner installers will install the ductwork, the compressor/ condensing unit, indoor fan coil unit and test that everything is working. A ducted air conditioner professional in Brisbane will also be able to design the system to work perfectly with your house setup, so you can designate zoned cooling around the house and ensure you choose a ducted system that’s powerful enough to cool your Brisbane home.
6 BENEFITS OF A DUCTED AIR CONDITIONER
Ducted air conditioning systems are one of the more popular systems for cooling and heating your home in Brisbane. Most people enjoy the minimalist design that also accommodates small to larger and more complex home layouts.
Some of the key features that make ducted air conditioning popular in Brisbane homes include:
- Improved Energy Efficiency – Previously ducted air conditioners were not very energy efficient. Although nowadays most of the modern systems use an inverter technology in order to scale the power according to needs. Since every part of the house is equally heated or cooled, it stands out to be a value for money solution of comfort.
- Whole Home Solution – Most of the modern ducted systems are reverse cycle units. Meaning that system can either heat or cool the air, ideal for ensuring your home comfort levels are optimal all year round. Ducted air conditioning is a one-time installation process and can be controlled and tailored to your requirements depending on the time of year. A ducted air conditioner with zone settings allows for optimised setting as per the households preference and can minimise electricity consumption.
- Even Temperatures – In the case of non-ducted air con systems, one can face issues like inefficient heating and cooling in their house. With a ducted air conditioner, there is uniform cooling and heating. With this type of system, there is minimal change in air temperature variation that one can experience in your home.
- Aesthetics – With non-ducted systems you can visibly see an air conditioner unit hanging on the wall of the house that in turn reduces the aesthetic beauty of the house, however with the ducted system, the only thing that is visible on the ceilings of the rooms is a grill, and the remaining ductwork is neatly tucked inside the roof space.
- Less Noise – Non-ducted systems even with modern advancement in technology have reduced a great deal of noise, but the professionals believe that it still can’t beat the ducted systems. It is one of the many benefits of having a ducted system in your home.
- Property Value – Installing ducted air conditioning makes good financial sense if you’ve got plans to eventually put your home on the market. Ducted air conditioning is more affordable than ever but it’s still regarded by many as a high-end or luxury item. For that reason, ducted air conditioning makes your property a more attractive option than a comparable property without it. That’s especially the case in and around Brisbane.
HOW MUCH DOES DUCTED AIR CONDITIONING COST TO RUN?
Ducted air conditioning is arguably the best option for household heating and cooling in Brisbane. However, many homeowners are concerned with how much a ducted air conditioning unit will cost to run, and whether or not ducted air conditioning is cheaper to run than other air conditioning systems.
To help you through the purchasing process, and to save you money, we have outlined a guide of how to calculate the cost of running ducted air conditioning and some handy tips to help reduce the running costs of your ducted air conditioner.
The cost of running a ducted air conditioner varies from household to household. Some of the reasons for this include:
- Energy efficiency of the system
- Size and layout of the house
However, an estimated ducted air conditioning running cost can be calculated using the energy star label on your air conditioner. The energy star label should list the ‘power input’ of the air conditioner in kilowatts. Take the provided power input and multiply it by the kilowatt hour (kWh) cost listed on your last electricity bill. This will give you the cost per hour for running your ducted air conditioner.
For example, if the power input listed on the energy star rating label is 2.6, and the kilowatt house cost on your last electricity bill is $0.35/kWh, the cost per hour for running your ducted air conditioner would be $0.91 per hour. (eg. 2.6 x 0.35 = 0.91)
Note: All figures provided are examples only. The actual running cost of your ducted air conditioner will vary based on the power input and electricity cost in your individual circumstance.
6 Tips To Reduce Ducted Air Conditioner Running Costs
Some ideas to increase the cooling efficiency of your ducted air conditioner and reduce the running cost include:
- Adjust The Thermostat – The temperature that you set your air conditioner to will significantly affect running costs. In fact, lowering the temperature by just 1 degree can add 10% to the ducted air conditioner running costs. So, setting your air conditioner to 24 or 25 degrees celsius during a hot Brisbane summer, rather than 18 degrees, can significantly reduce running costs while still allowing your home to gradually cool to a comfortable temperature.
- Insulate – Another way to increase the cooling efficiency of your air conditioner is to insulate your home. Insulation will not only help to keep the cool air in in the summer, it will also make your home easier to warm in the winter. Simply closing the blinds or curtains on your windows will also help to reduce the heat transfer through the windows to reduce the running costs of your ducted air conditioner.
- Cool Earlier – When you notice a particularly hot day is forecast for Brisbane or if you notice it’s going to be a hot day early in the morning, be sure to start cooling your home before the hottest part of the day. This will reduce the running cost of your air conditioner as it takes less energy to maintain the temperature of a cool room than to cool down a room that is already very hot.
- Zoning – Choosing a ducted air conditioner with the zoning feature can also significantly reduce running costs. This is because, rather than having to cool the whole house whenever the air conditioner is turned on, you can choose which zones in the house to cool based on what areas are currently in use. This will reduce running costs and save energy that would otherwise be used to cool areas of the home that no one is currently using.
- Regular Maintenance – Ensuring that your air conditioner is regularly serviced will reduce running costs. This is because a regular professional ducted air conditioner service will keep your air conditioner running smoothly and allow for any damage or issues to be identified and addressed before they can cause your energy bill to skyrocket.
- Out With The Old – There’s no denying that having an air conditioner makes life so much more comfortable when you’re battling the harsh Brisbane climate. However, there comes a time when your trusty old air conditioner just doesn’t perform as well as it once did. Excessive noise, costly repairs, unusually high energy costs, and uneven cooling/heating are some signs that your air conditioning unit might be on the way out. Replacing your old ducted system with Daikin’s premium inverter ducted system, can help save you up to 25% on running costs.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN DUCTED AND SPLIT SYSTEMS
- Installation – Ducted air conditioning requires more effort, specialist installation, a suitable home, and typically a larger upfront cost. Split systems are typically cheaper to install, and can be installed room by room if you need to spread the cost out over time.
- Ongoing Cost – Split System units run on an individual basis, which means their running costs can be cheaper than a ducted system operating throughout the whole house. However zoning ducted air conditioning will help control where it is running and can potentially result in more efficient running costs.
- Effectiveness – Split Systems are very effective for small and single rooms. A larger unit will be needed for effective cooling in a larger room. Ducted air conditioning is better to cover large areas and for controlling even temperature throughout the entire house.
- Noise – As technology advances, noise issues reduce. Split systems can be remarkably quiet nowadays, however ducted air conditioning units are more quiet. A noisy split system is typically an indication that there is a problem that requires maintenance.
- Aesthetically – Visually the ducted system is fairly discrete. The outlets are relatively flat, small and installed in the ceiling. Split systems are bulky, visible units on the wall. Both have outdoor units called compressors outside the house.
- Suitability – Some homes do not have the roof space to install ducted air conditioning, rendering it impossible to install. Split systems require suitable wall space to install.
- Servicing – While the extent of use and environmental factors can impact either system, ducted air conditioners typically last longer. On average they last around 10-15 years before the major components need to be replaced. Depending on the type of system installed, split systems typically last 5 to 10 years before needing to be replaced. Proper maintenance and regular filter cleaning help prolong a system’s life, whereas lack of maintenance will shorten it. Regardless of which system you choose, you need to ensure you get them regularly serviced and stay on top of keeping the filters clean.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO INSTALL A DUCTED AIR CONDITIONER?
At Hewitt Trade Services, we offer the best of the best in ducted air conditioning in Brisbane. We can supply and install Daikin Ducted Air Conditioning in Brisbane homes for as little as $44.55* per week on our Daikin Ducted 60 Months Finance Offer. T&C’s apply.
6 Reasons to Choose a Daikin Ducted Air Conditioner:
- MyAir – MyAir is Advantage Air’s premium reverse cycle air conditioning management system with 10 zones and individual room airflow control. The system comes with a superior 8-inch tablet, stylish & intuitive user interface and a MyAir app for smart phones & tablets.
- Improved Energy Efficient – Achieved through the use of DC fan motors, cross-pass heat exchanger and increased outdoor coil passes.
- Custom Fan Settings – 15 different fan speed settings to suit your ductwork configuration.
- Compact Size – 140 and 160 Class is now housed in a compact indoor casing for easier installation.
- Inverter Technology – An inverter system works like the accelerator of a car, gently increasing or decreasing power. They reach the desired temperature quicker and steadily maintain it without fluctuations.
- Australian Made – Indoor units are specifically designed and manufactured to Australian standards to withstand the harsher summer climate.
Hewitt Daikin Ducted Air Conditioner Prices
You can get the Daikin Standard ducted inverter installed on a budget thanks to Advantage Air’s Zone6 zone control system. The Zone6 system still delivers great performance and quality, but at a more economical price point.
- 10.0kW (FDYQN100) – from $10,110
- 12.5kW (FDYQN125) – from $10,610
- 14.0kW (FDYQN140) – from $11,160
- 15.5kW (FDYQN160) – from $11,610
Daikin Standard ducted inverter installed with an Advantage Air MyAir zone control system is created for the ultimate ducted air conditioning experience. We have great home package deals available.
- 10.0kW (FDYQN100) – from $11,590
- 12.5kW (FDYQN125) – from $12,090
- 14.0kW (FDYQN140) – from $12,640
- 15.5kW (FDYQN160) – from $13,090
Need Finance? Find out more about our Daikin Ducted 60 Months Finance Offer.
At Hewitt Trade Services, we are the best in the ducted air conditioning business in the greater Brisbane area. We have installed thousands of ducted air conditioners in different homes across Brisbane, have over 15 years of industry experience, are reliable, efficient and fast. Our years of experience have made us knowledgeable about the most common ducted air conditioning challenges faced by the Brisbane community. Choosing us means having a reliable contractor that understands the needs of the local climate.
To speak with one of our ducted air conditioner experts about your needs or to get a quote, contact us now!