Looking for a professional and licenced gas fitter around Brisbane? Or perhaps you are looking for some tips to keep your home and family safe around gas while also helping to reduce those rising gas costs. Read our Gas Guide on Staying Safe and Keeping Costs down.
Gas home appliances – How can I cut costs?
In Brisbane, we don’t generally experience the high costs of heating our houses in the winter but our gas usage still gets a workout through our hot water systems and cooking appliances. The colder weather can cause a spike in the costs of these while we try to keep warm with longer showers and cooking warmer comforting foods.
Are you looking to save some money on your gas usage around your home or at work? Here are some tips on how you can save money on your gas.
How to save money on Gas Hot Water
According to the Australian Government’s Your Home guide, approximately 21% of a typical household’s energy use comes from heating water. Finding ways to reduce the amount of water you use at home could immediately help you reduce your gas bill. Here are some ideas to consider:
Often, the hot water that comes out of your taps is mixed with cold to bring it to an ideal temperature for showering or doing laundry. Lowering the thermostat on your gas hot water system to a more ideal temperature reduces your gas usage, as the water needs less heating. This alone can help reduce your gas bill.
2. Hot water system
Nearly half of all hot water systems in Australia use gas to heat the water. These days, you can choose from two main types of gas hot water systems: Storage and Instantaneous.
Gas storage systems keep water heated in an insulated storage tank for use whenever needed, while instantaneous systems heat water as it is used. Constant heating in a storage system uses more gas, so it could pay to switch to an instantaneous system to save money. Of course, only use a licenced Brisbane gas fitter for any hot water system needs.
3. Water efficiency ratings
When buying or upgrading appliances, taking note of the water rating label can save you money. The Australian Government regulate products under the Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards scheme. Each label has a star rating and is an estimate on how much water the appliance uses. Buying appliances with a higher rating can reduce the amount of water you use.
4. Heat loss
Even though hot water storage tanks are insulated, they still waste about 30% of the energy used through heat loss. Insulating the hot water pipes attached to the system can help to reduce this and save you money.
Dishwashers often have an economy mode that washes your dishes at a lower temperature. To help with your gas usage:
- Use economy mode to save more money on water heating
- Make sure to only turn the dishwasher on when it’s full.
- When buying a dishwasher choose one with a better rating.
6. Washing machines
Washing your clothes with heated water only adds to your gas bill. To reduce the use of gas:
- Switch to cold water
- When using hot water match the water level to the size of the load
Using less hot water in the bathroom can dramatically reduce your gas bill. Simply
- Have showers instead of baths
- Have shorter showers
- Fix any dripping taps immediately
- Install a low-flow showerhead.
How to save money on Gas Cooking
If you have a gas oven and stove, you can make changes to the way you cook to help save even more money on your gas bill.
An advantage of cooking with a gas oven is that they heat up quickly. Recipes that call for preheating usually have electric ovens in mind, as they take longer to heat up. With a naked flame, a gas oven can heat up fast, so you can usually skip the preheating stage, saving gas in the process. Follow these tips when cooking with a gas oven.
- Skip the preheating stage
- Keep the oven door closed during cooking to help contain the heat
- Check the seals around your oven doors as heat can escape through old or damaged seals.
Follow these tips when cooking on your gas stovetop to reduce your gas cooking costs.
- Make sure pot lids fit snugly when boiling water
- Use round bottom pans as they allow for more efficiency when heating food
- Turn the gas off just before the food is cooked and allow the residual heat to finish the cooking process.
Gas Safety tips
Gas is a highly volatile substance & needs to be treated with due respect. These are the steps recommended by The Queensland Gas Association that you should take to ensure that you are being safe with gas around your home.
- Be aware of gas poisoning – During the short winter months, we Brisbane folk love to get our heaters fired up. If your heater or it’s flue isn’t working properly, this will affect the air in your home, leaving it unsafe, potentially causing you fatigue or even short of breath. You may develop:
If you are feeling any of these symptoms and you suspect it’s from your heater, turn it off immediately & call a licenced Brisbane gas fitter to have a look.
- Be mindful of gas leaks – Natural gas has an odorant added before being piped for use in houses, in turn, you can identify a gas leak by the smell. If you smell gas in your home, it’s possibly a gas leak. Turn off the gas at the meter immediately and call a licenced Brisbane gas fitter to check over the installation.
- Pilot lights & main burners – They should produce a blue flame. If you see a red or yellow flame, call the manufacturer or a licenced Brisbane gas fitter.
- Gas heaters: how a flame should appear – When the gas heater is in operation check the appearance of the radiant. A flame that is beyond the immediate surface of the tile, could indicate it’s faulty and could be emitting carbon monoxide into the air, which is unsafe to breathe. If this is the case switch it off and contact a licenced Brisbane gas fitter.
- Servicing appliances & keeping them clean – Ensure all your gas appliances are serviced regularly in accordance with their manufacturer’s guidelines. Ovens & hot plates can have a build-up of burnt food or fat, so ensure you clean them down after use.
- Keep all flammables away – Flammable material, clothes, papers & aerosols must be kept far away from the gas appliances, along with ensuring any ventilation openings are not to be blocked or covered, as this is a fire hazard.
- Take care when igniting – Don’t turn the gas knob up to full before igniting it.
- Use one gas source & don’t tamper with safety valves or other fittings – Operating a gas appliance on the wrong type of gas can be extremely hazardous.
- Supervise young children – Watch young kids around all gas appliances.
- Outdoor gas appliances to be operated outdoors – Barbecues and other camping equipment must be used outdoors, not indoors.
What is gas fitting and who can do it?
A licenced gas-fitter is trained to repair, service, and replace natural gas appliances and fixtures in residential, commercial, or industrial related properties and areas. Beyond working on the appliances and fixtures themselves, they are also responsible for installing regulators, gas meters, burners and valves. Many plumbers around Brisbane will offer a combination of plumbing and gas-fitting services, but it’s important to note that each is a separate occupation and comes with different qualification requirements.
Gas fitting responsibilities include:
- Installing gas pipes
- Installing gas detection and pressure regulating systems
- Installing gas related appliances and associated equipment
- Installing gas appliance flues
- Reading and interpreting plans/drawings
- Testing pipework for gas appliances
- Providing customers with advice on how to operate and maintain gas appliances
- Appliance maintenance
- Installing LPG systems in boats or caravans
- Maintaining ancillary equipment and pipes used for the safe operation of appliances using flue gasses
Is it important to have a gas fitting license in Brisbane?
Yes, it is important to make sure your Brisbane gas fitter is suitably licensed and qualified.
Around Brisbane, you may have seen various plumbing services offering gas fitting, but you need to be careful that you’re choosing a professional with the right qualifications to match your specific job.
Your Brisbane gas fitter will need a licence or authorisation relevant to the category of gas device and the type of gas work required:
- Type A – To work on a gas device (type A), you need a gas work licence. A gas device (type A) is a device that uses fuel gas to create heat, light or power (including for refrigeration). These are essentially certified (badged) mass-produced appliances such as gas stoves and hot-water systems. Read a full list of Type A gas devices.
- Type B – To work on a gas device (type B), you need a gas work authorisation. A gas device (type B) is any gas device that is not a gas device (type A). This includes devices such as most industrial gas plant, some commercial gas devices, and fuel gas systems of vehicles or vessels.
Gas work licence (GWL) and authorisation (GWA) requirements exist to ensure gas work is only undertaken by suitably qualified and experienced people.
Gas works include any of the categories below that are carried out on a gas system:
Hewitt gas fitting services Brisbane
At Hewitt Trade Services, our licensed gas fitters are on hand to assist the Brisbane area with a range of gas fitting and installations including:
- Natural and LPG gas installations
- Gas leak identification and repairs
- Gas hot water units
- Gas cooktops and ovens
- Gas room heaters
- Gas BBQ points and connections
We are experienced and specialise in
- Gas fitting appliance installations
- Gas fitting hot water installations
Gas fitting appliance installations in Brisbane – At Hewitt Trade Services we install a range of gas appliances including cooktops, freestanding gas ovens, continuous flow & storage hot water systems & room heaters. If you’re adding fixtures to your existing gas system or upgrading existing appliances, your current system will need to be assessed by a gas fitter to ensure that it is able to cater for the additional load.
Gas fitting hot water installations in Brisbane – Gas hot water systems are ideal for when you need an economical and reliable hot water solution. Both continuous flow gas hot water systems and gas storage hot water systems offer quite a low up-front cost and are a great way to reduce your carbon footprint. At Hewitt Trade Services, we offer a full range of premium brands in gas hot water systems so we can offer our customers a one-stop solution for all of your home gas hot water needs.
For a professional, licensed and reliable gas fitting service in Brisbane call Hewitt Trade Services. Contact us on 3634 0200!